GENERAL STATEMENT OF PRACTICE
Jan Frankel Schau, Esq. settles litigated cases arising out of employment and tort disputes with humanity, skill and intelligence. With over twenty years of experience as a litigator – 10 years in Insurance Defense and 10 years representing Plaintiffs– Jan has an unique ability to understand and evaluate both sides of conflict and to get to the heart of the conflict in order to arrive at a satisfactory resolution in every dispute efficiently, effectively and fairly, usually in a single day. She is known for her keen insight as well as her kindness, earning praise from lawyers and their clients in the most intransigent of disputes. Her settlement rates are consistently high, saving her clients countless hours and dollars in litigation.
Ms. Schau has been recognized as one of the leading mediators in Southern California, named by the Daily Journal as a “Top 50 Neutral”, inducted as a Distinguished Fellow of the prestigious International Academy of Mediators and named one of California’s Super Lawyers for the past 9 years.
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Employment: FEHA, Pre-Litigated/Pre-Trial, Wrongful Termination, Discrimination, Harassment, Wage And Hour
- Tort: Personal Injury, Professional Negligence, Premises Liability
- Business: Partnership, Trade Secrets, Contracts
- ADR Services, Inc., Mediator & Arbitrator, Panel Neutral
- Civil Service Hearing Officer, County of Los Angeles
- Civil Service Hearing Officer, City of Los Angeles
- Civil Service Hearing Officer, Los Angeles Unified School District
- Private Mediator, Arbitrator, Valley Mediation Services
- United States District Court, Central District, Appointed Panel Member
- Law Offices of Jan Frankel Schau, General Civil Litigation
- Litigation Practice at various law firms in Los Angeles, specializing in Condominium and Homeowners Law, Real Property Sales, Construction Defect Litigation, Insurance Defense, Coverage, Personal Injury, Employment, Business Litigation, Hospital Staff Privileges, Professional Negligence and Torts
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL PANELS/APPOINTMENTS/HONORS
- Top 16 Women in Alternative Dispute Resolution per Super Lawyer, California
- Top 50 Neutral by California Daily Journal
- Former Elected Chair, Beverly Hills Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- California Super Lawyer in Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Board Member, Women Lawyers of Los Angeles, Former ADR Section Chair
- Distinguished Fellow of the International Academy of Mediator*
- Former Appointed Member, California State Bar Committee on ADR
- Former Elected President, Southern California Mediation Association
- Cross-Cultural Mediation, Straus Summer Intensive, 2018
- Advanced Negotiation, Straus Summer Intensive, 2017
- Summer Intensive: “Mindfulness in Mediation”, Straus Institute 2016
- Professional Skills Advanced Mediation Training, Straus Institute 2015
- EEOC Training, 40 hour Course, 2007
- Arbitration I and II, American Arbitration Association, 2005-2006
- FINRA Neutral Training, 2005
- County Personnel Hearing Officer Training, 2005
- Western Center for Law & Disability, Advanced Training, Disability Mediation, 2001
- L.A. County Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Program Act ADR Training, 2000
- Loyola Law School, J.D., 1981
- Pomona College, B.A. in International Relations, 1978
- Contributing Author to “Lawyers as Changemakers” by J. Kim Wright, Published by ABA Dispute Resolution Section, 2016.
- “View from the Middle of the Road: A Mediator’s Perspective on Life, Conflict and Human Interaction”, AuthorHouse 2013.
- “The Bad Boy who almost Got Away”, “Stories Mediators Tell”, editors, Eric Galton and Lela Love, Published by ABA Dispute Resolution Section, 2012.
“Ms. Schau went far beyond the call of duty to settle this matter.”