Gracious, polite and respectful, Judge Ouderkirk is the consummate jurist. Smart and always prepared, he has artfully presided over high-profile matters such as the Reginald Denny beating case, and over numerous, emotionally charged Family Law matters. Known to go the “extra mile” to settle a case, he is particularly adept at winning the confidence of counsel and clients alike.
- 2000-04 Los Angeles Superior Court – Family Law Assignment – Independent calendar presiding over cases involving almost all aspects of Family Law.
- 1997-00 Los Angeles Superior Court – Central Civil Division – Independent trial calendar presiding over unlimited jurisdiction civil cases including medical malpractice, insurance bad faith, real estate, torts, contracts and employment.
- 1992-97 Los Angeles Superior Court – Central Criminal Division – Long-cause and high security criminal cases including murder, rape, drugs, major fraud and other serious felonies including People v. Damian Williams, et. al, which was known in the press as the “Reginald Denny Beating” case. Voted “Criminal Courts Judge of the Year” in 1994 by the Century City Bar Association.
- 1991-92 Los Angeles Superior Court – Central Criminal Division – Direct calendar felony criminal trials.
- 1990-91 Los Angeles Municipal Court – Supervising Judge, Traffic Court – Established a case settlement program that dramatically reduced the number of pending cases.
- 1989-90 Los Angeles Municipal Court Misdemeanor trial calendar.
- 1978-89 Deputy District Attorney – County of Los Angeles – Serving as Assistant Head Deputy in the Major Fraud Division at time of appointment to the bench. Participated in the prosecution of insurance fraud rings, art forgery, music piracy and other complex fraud schemes. Prior to that he served as Supervising Trial Deputy in a felony trial court at the central criminal courts building. Tried more than 30 cases to verdict.
- 1970-78 Investigator – District Attorney’s Office, County of Los Angeles – Conducted investigations in the areas of child support, felony trials and official corruption.
- 1965-70 Police Officer – City of Santa Monica.
- 1977 Loyola Law School – Dean’s list all four years and recipient of an honorary Scholarship for Academic Excellence in 1976.
- 1972 California State University, Los Angeles – Graduated with honors.
- 1965 Los Angeles Police Academy.
- 2011-Present Member – Board of Advisors – Devil Pups, Inc. (Youth Organization)
- 2003 Panelist – Los Angeles County Bar Family Law Section – 25th Annual Child Custody Colloquium
- 2003 Panelist – Beverly Hills Bar Association Family Law Section – “The New Age of Discovery”
- 2002 Panelist – Center for Judicial Education and Research – Family Law Institute
- 2001 Panelist – Beverly Hills Bar Association – 27th Annual Family Law Symposium – Complex Spousal Support Issues
- 2001 Speaker – Beverly Hills Bar Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Section – “Targeting International Child Abduction”
- 2001 Attendee – CJER/Pepperdine-Strauss Mediation Institute
- 2001 Member – Superior Court Commissioner Selection Committee
- 2000-02 Elected Member – Los Angeles Superior Court Executive Committee
- 2000 Attendee – CJER Family Law Institute
- 1998 Speaker – California Judges Association/Rutter Group – “Expert Witnesses”
- 1998 Attendee – CJER Advanced Civil Law Institute
- 1997 Attendee – CJER Basic Civil Law Institute
- 1994, 97 Attendee – National Judicial College – Seminar on Land Use, CEQA
- 1994-2011 Member – Board of Trustees – Devil Pups, Inc. (Youth Organization)
- 1992, 96 Chairperson – Los Angeles Superior Court Probation Committee
- 1991 Attendee – California Judges College – Superior
- 1989 Attendee – California Judges College – Municipal
- 1986-87 Elected Member – Board of Directors – Association of Deputy District Attorneys, Los Angeles County
- 1961-67 United States Marine Corps Reserve