Sal Liccardo, Esq. has extensive experience settling both simple and complex cases, including mass tort cases, over his 50-year long legal career. In addition to his private mediation practice, he has served as a settlement judge pro tem and neutral mediator for the Santa Clara County Superior Court. He has resolved the vast majority of cases in such areas of law as personal injury, wrongful death, mass tort, product liability, insurance bad faith, and business and commercial litigation both in his firm’s practice as well as a mediator or settlement neutral. His practical experience in settling thousands of cases over his career provides him with in-depth insight on identifying potential stumbling blocks to settlement, and his determination and drive ensure that cases are resolved to the satisfaction of all those involved.
Prior to commencing his mediation practice, Mr. Liccardo enjoyed a reputation as one of the country’s most respected and decorated trial lawyers, having been invited to such prestigious organizations as the Inner Circle of Advocates and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. He has been honored with numerous awards for excellence in trial practice, including the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Santa Clara County Trial Lawyers Association, and was recognized numerous times as a Top Lawyer by various bar and legal associations.
Mr. Liccardo’s jury trial experience, involving over 200 trials, uniquely qualifies him to assist parties in accurately evaluating their cases for settlement. He fully understands the usual risk of trial, the extensive costs and potential obstacles that often occur. His considerable experience gives him a greater understanding of the importance and value of settling cases early, before litigation costs run out of control. His credibility in this regard is unmatched, and the respect he has earned throughout his career from lawyers on both sides of the bar contribute to his effectiveness and success as a neutral.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Personal Injury: wrongful death; catastrophic personal injury; mass tort litigation.
- Product Liability: auto crashworthiness; prescription drugs; medical devices.
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Commercial & Business Litigation
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Inner Circle of Advocates (Emeritus), invited member since 1974. Limited to 100 of the most prestigious plaintiff trial lawyers in America.
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, invited member since 1986. An organization of distinguished and accomplished trial lawyers from throughout the world. Member of the Board of Directors, 2008-2010 and 2014-2016. Faculty member for the “China Program” educating leading and accomplished Chinese government lawyers on the role of “The Rule of Law” in America from 2003-2017.
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Diplomate, invited member since 1985.
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Santa Clara County Trial Lawyers Association, 2009.
- Special Achievement Award for Outstanding Contributions & Services to Humanity, University of Santa Clara School of Law Alumni Association, 2008.
- Champion of Justice Award, Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, 1999.
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, Santa Clara County Trial Lawyers Association, 1994.
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers in America, American Trial Lawyers Association, 2007-2009.
- Top 100 Lawyers in Northern California, “Northern California Super Lawyers”, 2005-2009.
- Silicon Valley’s Top Lawyers, “San Jose Magazine”, 2005-2009.
- Co-Founder and Elected President of Public Justice (formerly known as Trial Lawyers for Public Justice), 1989-1990. A national public interest law firm that specializes in cutting edge civil cases.
- Recognition of Experience Certificate, California Trial Lawyers Association.
- Rated AV-Preeminent, the highest rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Member of Alpha Sigma Nu, a University of Santa Clara Honors Fraternity.
- Appointed to California Coordination Proceedings 2754 (Silicone Breast Implant Litigation), Plaintiff’s Steering Committee, Judge O’Neill, San Diego, 1993-1999.
- Appointed to MDL-926 Breast Implant Litigation: Plaintiff’s Steering Committee (PSC) by Judge Sam Pointer, Federal District Court, Birmingham, Alabama, 1992-1999.
- Founding Partner of Caputo & Liccardo
- Founding Partner of Caputo, Liccardo, Rossi, Sturges & McNeil
- Founding Partner of Liccardo, Rossi, Sturges & McNeil
- Founding Partner of The Liccardo Law Firm, LLP
- 2nd and 1st U.S. Army, Signal Corps
- Active duty, served in Southeast Asia, 1957-1958
- Active reserve until 1962
- State of California, 1962
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1962
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 1962
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, 1995
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1966
- Bellarmine College Preparatory
- University of Santa Clara, B.A.
- University of Santa Clara, J.D.
- Two years of medical courses, University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
- California State Bar
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
- Santa Clara County Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice (formerly American Trial Lawyers Association)
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- Inner Circle of Advocates (Emeritus)
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Diplomate
- Member of Public Justice (formerly known as Trial Lawyers for Public Justice)