Judge Hayes served 24 years as a trial judge presiding over hundreds of court and jury trials involving business, medical malpractice, insurance, personal injury, employment, and class actions. As a civil judge he handled hundreds of discovery disputes, demurrers and motions for summary adjudication and summary judgment, and settlement conferences.
Mediation & Arbitration Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Medical and Legal Malpractice
- Class Actions
- Personal Injury
Pepperdine University School of Law, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution: Mediating the Litigated Case & STAR Approach to Mediation Strategies
- J.D., California Western School of Law, San Diego
- B.A. in Political Science, Occidental College, Los Angeles
- 1987-2010 Judge of the Superior Court, San Diego County
- 1986-1987 Judge of the San Diego Municipal Court, San Diego Judicial District
- In addition to his judicial responsibilities as trial judge, Judge Hayes served as Chair of the Court’s Rules Committee; Co-Chair of the Court’s ADR committee, which developed San Diego’s successful Mediation Pilot Project leading to the present Mediation Program; and on the Court’s Executive Committee, the Superior Court’s governing body. Prior to his civil assignment he presided over general civil and criminal trials including death penalty cases.
- Judge Hayes has served as a panel member for Continuing Education of the Bar, National Business Institute, Lorman Education Services, and the Center for Judicial Education and Research on matters concerning civil litigation, civil procedure and complex litigation.
Legal & Trial Experience
- 1985-1986 Chief Deputy District Attorney, San Diego District Attorney’s Office
- 1978-1985 Chief, Consumer Fraud Division, San Diego District Attorney’s Office & Special Assistant to the U.S. Attorney, Southern District of California
- 1973-1978 Deputy District Attorney, Consumer Fraud Division, San Diego District Attorney’s Office
- 1970-1973 Deputy District Attorney, San Diego District Attorney’ Office
As a lawyer, Judge Hayes tried complex court and jury trials in federal and state courts. As Chief of the Fraud Division he personally handled complex consumer fraud cases and supervised 8 lawyers in their handling of consumer fraud cases and business crimes.
Past & Current Memberships
- Member, Executive Committee, San Diego Superior Court’s governing body
- Co-Chair of the ADR Committee, San Diego Superior Court
- Chair of the Rules Committee, San Diego Superior Court
- Member of Board of Trustees, San Diego County Public Law Library
- Member of Board of Trustees, San Diego Law Library Justice Foundation
- Senior Master, Welsh Inn, American Inns of Court
- Member of Board of Directors, Youth Tennis San Diego, Inc.
- Member of Board of Directors, American Diabetes Association, San Diego Chapter
Judge Hayes is married to the Honorable Judge Judith F. Hayes, a judge of the San Diego Superior Court. He is an award-winning wine maker, a former wine judge and in his spare time presides over a small vineyard of cabernet and merlot vines.