Daniel Ben-Zvi (pronounced “BenzVee”) is a respected mediator and arbitrator with ADR Services, Inc. Since 1995, he has mediated more than 2,500 disputes with highly successful results.
Mr. Ben-Zvi is a “Distinguished Fellow” with the International Academy Mediators and 1 of 32 “Power Mediators” worldwide [Hollywood Reporter]. Admitted to 5 State and Federal Bars, Mr. Ben-Zvi draws on 20 years as a multi-state trial lawyer to resolve complex disputes.
This “warrior-turned-peacemaker”, as The Daily Journal describes him, brings a unique blend of persistence and creativity to ending bitterly fought lawsuits.
Mr. Ben-Zvi co-authored a book, “Inside the Minds–Alternative Dispute Resolution”, writes articles and lectures on dispute resolution. His creativity even led him to be a writer on the television show “L.A. Law”. Mr. Ben-Zvi’s guiding principle as Mediator: “The mediation opportunity should be effectively exhausted, with no stone left unturned.”
- 1981 JD, Cardozo School of Law
- 1978 BA, Rutgers University (Honors, Economics)
Dispute Resolution Experience
- Mr. Ben-Zvi has mediated and arbitrated, since 1995, on the panels of ADR Services, Inc., AAA, ARC, World Intellectual Property Organization, and DB Mediation & Arbitration Services.
For all articles and publications, please visit http://www.dbmediation.com/media
- Author, “Nine Ways to be ready for Mediation” Advocate, September, 2012
- Co-Author, “Inside the Minds – Alternative Dispute Resolution” (Aspatore Press; Boston 2004), Co-authors include J.Brian Casey, Baker & McKenzie and Judith Korchin, Holland & Knight.
- Author, articles on mediation and litigation topics, including an analysis of mediation “The Mediation Revolution” (CLA, CA; 2004).
- Author, “Mediation: An Overview” (US-Korean Law Journal ; 2013).
- Profiled several times as Featured Neutral in the Daily Journal — 2001, 2005 and 2008.
- Lecturer numerous times at Southern California Mediation Association’s (SCMA) annual conferences and seminars at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University, on dispute resolution in the areas of business, employment, real estate, construction, personal injury, and entertainment.
- Lecturer on alternative dispute resolution at many law firms, corporations and government agencies, e.g. Irell & Manella, Sony, and the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office.
- Lecturer on mediation topics at Bar Associations of Los Angeles, Ventura and San Francisco and at Law Schools of UCLA, Loyola, Southwestern.
- Lecturer on “Mediation in the Real Estate Industry”.
- Keynote speaker, California Lawyers for the Arts’ annual conference  on Mediation in the Film and Television Industry and panelist in other years.
- Featured Mediator on television including “Mediation Behind Closed Doors”, “Saving the American Dream”, “Law Talk” and consultant Neutral on ABC news.
- Featured Mediator on radio including “The Dennis Prager Show” and “The CBS Business Hour”.
Awards and Associations
- Distinguished Fellow, International Academy of Mediators.
- Mediation Panelist, United States District Court, Central District of California
- Board member, California Dispute Resolution Council (CDRC).
- Chairman, since 2004, “City of Los Angeles Annual Mediation Awareness Week”, on behalf of the Mayor and the L.A. City Council to promote mediation. This includes Mr. Ben-Zvi’s annual televised presentation at L.A. City Council on status of dispute resolution in Los Angeles, together with leaders in the legal, political and mediation communities.
- “Power Mediator” — 1 of 32 Best International List, Hollywood Reporter.
- Diplomat Member, California Academy of Distinguished Neutrals and National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals.
- Honoree, Southern California Mediation Association’s (SCMA) annual Employment Mediation Conference, 2005.
- Admitted to the State Bars of California, New York, Washington DC, New Jersey, and Connecticut.
- Invited Participant, Master’s Forum, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution.
- Invited Participant, Negotiation and Mediation conference, Harvard Law School; 2007, 2012.
Judicial and Legal Experience
- Judge Pro Tempore, Los Angeles Superior Court, 2002 – 2012.
- Judge, Annual National Negotiation Competition, American Bar Association, Law Student Division.
- Litigator. Mr. Ben-Zvi appreciates the unique perspectives of plaintiff and defense. Throughout his 20-year litigation career, he represented both plaintiffs and defendants. In 1981, Mr. Ben-Zvi joined Ribicoff & Kotkin in Connecticut. Later, he served as CA litigation counsel to the Washington DC law firm of Saul & Ewing fka Schmeltzer, Aptaker & Shepard for over 10 years.
- Extern, Bankruptcy Judge Burton Lifland, Federal Bankruptcy Court, Southern District New York, 1980-1981.
Daniel Ben-Zvi, Esq. has experience as a neutral in the following civil matters:
- Civil Rights
- Contract Disputes
- Intellectual Property
- Lemon Law
- Libel & Slander
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury / Torts
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Proposition 65
- Real Property
- Trusts and Estates
- Workers Compensation
- Wrongful Death