Ana Sambold is one of California’s leading figures in the field of ADR. She is a fully bilingual Attorney, Mediator, and Arbitrator. Ms. Sambold has successfully conducted, in English and Spanish, over a thousand mediations and arbitrations involving complex matters, multicultural parties, and highly contentious issues. Her unique background and fluency in Spanish allows her to understand the cultural and legal nuances that facilitate the resolution of disputes in multicultural settings and between parties of different nationalities.
She consistently achieves outstanding results by virtue of her remarkable tenacity, unique approach, and unmatched commitment to each case. Ms. Sambold has been recognized as a Diplomat Member of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, an International Mediation Institute certified mediator, and a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Ms. Sambold is also a Negotiation Professor at University of San Diego School of Law and has taught extensively in conflict resolution and ADR in Europe, Asia and the Americas. As a devoted and proven leader, Ms. Sambold serves as the San Diego County Bar Association ADR Section Chair, ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Vice-Chair, ABA Advanced Mediation and Advocacy Skills Institute Co-Chair, and President of the San Diego Law Library Foundation. She is a former Co-Chair of the California Lawyers Association ADR Committee and Board Member of the Southern California Mediation Association.
Ms. Sambold is available to conduct remote mediations worldwide via Zoom and other remote access means.
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- BUSINESS, COMMERCIAL, INSURANCE: Resolution of disputes arising out of the purchase and sale of businesses, disagreements in the management, dissolution of partnerships, valuation, accounting, tracing and distribution of assets between former partners; joint ventures; non-compete agreements; banking; intellectual property; misappropriation of trademark and trade secrets; unfair competition; franchise agreements; breach of contract; licensing; distribution rights; bankruptcy; royalties; commercial transactions; debtor/creditor; consumer matters; vehicle manufacturer’s warranties: Lemon Law; professional negligence, fraud, misappropriation, and alleged misrepresentations.
- EMPLOYMENT: Disputes involving claims for wrongful termination, civil rights violations, discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, disabilities and failure to accommodate; retaliation, wage and hour, sexual harassment, hostile work environment; COVID-19 related claims; intentional infliction of emotional distress claims; independent contractors; misclassification; Fair Employment and Housing Act (FIHA), Family and Medical Leave (FMLA), Private Attorneys Act (PAGA), Whistleblowers, denial of promotion, failure to hire, and negligent supervision.
- REAL ESTATE: Resolution of cases arising out of the purchase and sale of real estate; partition, title, easements, boundaries, silent ownership; claims of nuisance; necessary disclosures; loan refinancing and foreclosures; broker/agent/client disputes related to commission, procuring cause; landlord/tenant disputes involving breach of implied warranty of habitability, quiet enjoyment of property, property damages, bad faith retention of security deposits, unpaid rent and utilities, water intrusion, mold related claims, constructive eviction, detainer, property management, trespass; neighbor disputes over property lines, fences, trees, view, encroachments, drainage issues, use and access to property; construction defect; civil harassment cases between neighbors; Homeowners association disputes regarding compliance with CC&Rs, fees, liability for repairs, restoration of property, unauthorized improvements and breach of fiduciary duties.
- TORTS, PERSONAL INJURY: Personal Injury: Disputes resulting from motor vehicle accidents, tripping hazards, slip and fall, and premises liability claims; wrongful death; claims regarding injuries caused by medical and dental malpractice alleging improper diagnosis, treatment and surgery; COVID-19 related claims; insurance coverage and subrogation matters, claims of insurance bad faith, duty to defend, indemnity, uninsured motorists; civil assault and battery claims; legal malpractice; attorney fees disputes; infliction of emotional distress; invasion of privacy, defamation and slander per se.
- WILLS, TRUSTS, ESTATES: Disputes among family members involving administration of family trust, estate, will/trust beneficiaries, appointment of trustees, validity of testamentary bequests, trustee and estate administrator breach of fiduciary duties; partition actions; constructive trusts; accounting, inventory, appraisal and distribution of assets among trust beneficiaries, claims of undue influence, elder abuse; caretaker and competency issues between adult siblings and their parents.
MEDIATION & ARBITRATION EXPERIENCE
- Mediator, ADR Services, Inc. (2017-Present)
- Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association (AAA) (2016-Present)
- Mediator, San Diego Probate Court Mediation Panel (2018-Present)
- Arbitrator, International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution
- Mediator, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (2018-Present)
- Arbitrator, Better Business Bureau (BBB) (2016-Present)
- Neutral, Mediation Works Incorporated (2012-2013)
- Mediator, San Diego Superior Court Civil Mediation Panel (2012-Present)
- Mediator & Trainer, National Conflict Resolution Center (2011-2017)
EDUCATION & ADR TRAINING
- Columbia Law School & Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Comprehensive Course on International Arbitration
- Harvard Law School, Program on Negotiation, Advanced Mediation Training: “Mediating Complex Disputes”
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution: “Mediating the Litigated Case”
- American Arbitration Association (AAA), “Arbitration Fundamentals and Best Practices for New AAA Arbitrators”; “Deciding and Writing Awards”
- National Conflict Resolution Center, “Mediator Credential”; “Advanced Mediation Skills”
- Better Business Bureau (BBB), “Auto Line Arbitrator Training”
- University of San Diego School of Law, LL.M.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND LEADERSHIP
- Chair, San Diego County Bar Association ADR Section (2021-Present)
- Co-Chair, State Bar of California, Civil Litigation Section’s Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution (2017-2018)
- Vice-Chair, American Bar Association DR Section (2021-Present)
- Co-Chair, California Lawyers Association ADR Committee (2018-2020)
- Negotiation Professor, University of San Diego School of Law (2021)
- Co-Chair, ABA Advanced Mediation and Advocacy Skills Institute (2019-Present)
- Board of Directors member, Southern California Mediation Association (2016-2019)
- President, San Diego Law Library Foundation Board of Trustees (2020-Present)
- Mediators Beyond Borders (MBBI) (2012-2018)
- Professor of Law, California Western School of Law (2016-2018)
- Lawyers Club of San Diego (2013-Present)
“I found Ana online, because I was looking for a Spanish speaking mediator who would book a half day. What a wonderful surprise. She was hard working, diligent, thoughtful, and helped us get the case settled. And so patient!! Will definitely use again and recommend to others. thank you.”
“Neutral Ana Sambold was superb”
“Ana Sambold was able to settle a highly emotional and contentious probate related case between a mother and daughter. Ms. Sambold’s professionalism and patience were unsurpassed. I really appreciate and respect her ability to work through what was a highly emotional and sometimes irrational, mother/daughter situation. I was also impressed by her ability to turn things around when it looked like the agreement was going to fall apart due to party misconceptions and back-peddling. I would highly recommend Ms. Sambold as a mediator.”