Judge Milton is exceptionally well qualified to facilitate resolution of cases, and believes that irrespective of complexity and size, all cases deserve the same degree of dignity and care in handling. He has practiced law for over 41 years and brings 24 years of judicial experience having handled numerous civil jury and bench trials, law & motion, including motions for summary judgment, hearings on demurrer, anti-slapp, special motions to strike, ex parte applications, judgment on the pleadings, default hearings, and discovery disputes. He strongly believes that parties must be given a full and fair opportunity to present evidence, law, and argument, and that arbitration rulings, decisions, and awards must be based on facts, applicable law, and only after thoughtful careful reflection and consideration.
Judge Milton joined ADR Services, Inc. during April, 2014 and has handled numerous cases that were resolved through mediation and arbitration, and has served as discovery and accounting reference for complex matters.
As trial judge, mediator, and arbitrator, Judge Milton handled commercial and residential landlord tenant disputes that arose from material/non-material breaches of lease, tenant leasehold improvements, commercial use-maintenance provisions, right of first refusal, recovery future rents, express and implied warranties of habitability, on-site & off-site dangerous conditions, and impacts of civil rights, fair housing, and rent control legislation. Recently, he video-conferenced Covid-19 impacts on Reals Estate Transactions/Landlord Tenant Protections and Regulations.
Judge Milton is an active real estate broker who engages in residential/commercial real estate sales, leasing, and property management. He is keenly aware of duties owed and responsibilities of all parties including disputes regarding timely performance, contingency removal, escrow cancellation, earnest money deposits, property defect disclosure, and commission disputes.
Areas of Expertise
- Real Estate
- Personal Injury, including Premises & Products Liability
- Civil Rights / Officer Involved Use of Force
- Business & Commercial Contract
- Professional Malpractice (Medical/Nursing/Legal/Accounting)
- Also experienced in resolving: Probate, Wage & Hour and Family Law
- Judge, Los Angeles Superior Court 1995 ‐ 2014
- Unlimited Jurisdiction Civil Trials/Law & Motion
- Settlement Department, North Central District
- Assistant Chief Trial Counsel, State Bar of California 1994 ‐ 1995
- Chief Assistant Prosecutor, Marion County – Indianapolis 1992 ‐ 1994
- Judge, Los Angeles Municipal Court 1987 ‐ 1992
- Deputy District Attorney, Los Angeles County 1979 ‐ 1987
Education & ADR Training
- Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution – Pepperdine School of Law, Mediation Training 2012
- Indiana University School of Law, JD 1978
- California State University Los Angeles, BS 1975
To Enhance Effectiveness in Handling Catastrophic and Other Serious Personal Injury Cases, Video-Conferenced Webinars (April and May, 2020):
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Cervical Spine; Injury Above C-2 Junction; Whiplash; Annular Tear; Disc: Degeneration, Herniation, Bulging, Protrusion, Extrusion, Sequestration; Imaging-Flexion & Extension, “A Snapshot in Time;” Nerve Conduction; Ligament Tear-Stem Cell Injection.
- Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury: Seizures, Visions, Processing Issues; Deficits Manifest Post-Accident Formative Years; Evaluation of Developmental Milestones; Life Care Plan, Pediatric Experts.
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: Vestibular Organ (Inner Ear); Videonystagmography (VNG); Traumatic Balance Injury; peripheral/Central Vestibulopathy; Symptoms; Brain Injury-Permanent; Trauma, Oxygen Deprivation, Exposure Noxious Chemicals; Lifetime Physical Therapy.
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome: Compression Nerve & Blood Vessels in Scalene Triangle; Pectoralis Minor Space; Auto Accidents, Falls, Sports, Repetitive Activity; Scar Tissue Compression on Nerves; Development of Symptoms After Emergency Room Treatment; Nerve Injury; Conservative Interventions-Physical Therapy, Muscle Relaxers, Anti-Inflammatories, Pain Medication Regimen, Stress Management; Surgical Interventions-Scalenectomy, First Rib Excision, or Combination. Nerve Wrap Technology.
- Colossus Software: Non-Economic Damages Valuations by Insurers; Letters of Representation & Demand Letters, (Reserves if Serious or Catastrophic Injury); Inclusion Demonstrable Injury-Imaging, Photographs, Accident Reports; Re-Run by Adjusters; Bad Faith Claims; Economic Regions; Minor impact Units; Medical Records Diagnosis; ICD Codes; Diagnoses by Medical Specialists, General Practitioners, and Chiropractors; Gaps in Treatment; AMA Guide & Peer Review.
- Settlement Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Cases: Brain Injury (Catastrophic) v. Brain Dysfunction (Mild); Glasgow Coma Scale; Diffuse Axonal Injury, Objective Testing: Volumetrics, Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI), Quantitative DTI, fMRI-RS, fMRI-Task, Spect/Pet, qEEg, MEG; Executive Functions; DSM-5; Psychiatric Conditions, Somatic Symptom Disorder, Neuropsychology Testing; Chronic Pain.
Professional Licenses & Associations
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Indiana (inactive)
- California Real Estate Broker License
- Beijing University, Guest Lecturer on “Survey American Justice Systems”
- Chinese Bar Association (Shenzhen, China), Speaker on “Legal Ethics”
- United States Army Reserve (6 Years)
“Judge Milton was extremely effective and efficient. I had little confidence the case would settle and to my surprise, Judge Milton made it happen. Thank you again.”