After 30 years of experience as a trial attorney trying complex business, construction, insurance (including surety and fidelity), personal injury, products liability, and real estate cases, Len Levy began resolving disputes as a mediator and arbitrator in 1998. In his more than 23 year career as a neutral, Len has not only resolved hundreds of matters in the same areas in which he tried cases, but has also been effective in resolving mass tort and complex multi-party cases related to product liability and sexual abuse/molestation, homeowners’ association disputes, professional liability (medical and legal malpractice), employment and legal fee disputes.
As a mediator, Len explores the interests of the parties to achieve a resolution which maximizes all parties’ satisfaction with the settlement, and he is known for his extraordinary patience, creativity and tenacious pursuit of resolution. As an arbitrator in construction, medical malpractice, business, and UM cases, he is recognized as fair-minded and experienced, with exceptional skill in understanding the complexities of evidence and issues, providing the parties with clear and well-reasoned decisions.
AREAS OF EMPHASIS
- Employment: Wrongful Termination, Wage and Hour, Sexual Harassment
Len Levy has effectively and economically mediated wage & hour matters including overtime, rest and meal breaks, resident manager issues, as well as independent contractor/employee claims, to satisfactory conclusion. He has also helped employers and employees resolve their disputes by effectively applying an interest-based approach to discrimination claims involving race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, and wrongful termination.
- Insurance: Surety and Fidelity, Coverage, Bad Faith
Len has an extensive insurance background (both as an attorney and as a neutral), which is unique because it includes having represented insurers and insureds involved in disputes over a wide variety of policies (general liability, auto, homeowner, title, life, disability, and professional liability), as well as fidelity and surety bonds. He has effectively mediated cases involving both coverage and extracontractual issues, understanding the perspectives of insureds and insurers, bond principals and owners.
- Business and Commercial
Len has assisted companies in resolving disputes between business partners, helping parties craft equitable dissolutions of partnerships, LLC’s and corporations. Len has also arbitrated such disputes. He has mediated a multitude of inter-business disputes involving sales, manufacturing, trade secret and other issues, all with an eye to prompt and satisfactory results.
- Real Estate: Landlord/Tenant, Purchase Agreements, Broker Liability, Title Insurance, Homeowners’ Associations
With his vast legal experience in real estate matters, Len Levy has effectively and economically mediated the resolution of claims involving buyers, sellers, agents, lessors, renters, homeowners and home owners’ association boards in both pre-litigation and mid-lawsuit matters. Disputes Len has successfully mediated have included issues with purchase agreements, title insurance, broker liability, neighbor disputes, CC&R’s governing homeowners’ associations, residential and commercial leases, property damage, and encroachment claims.
Drawing upon more than 30 years of litigating construction disputes and his extensive surety and insurance background, Len Levy is experienced mediating and arbitrating disputes involving owners, contractors, subcontractors, sureties, lenders and insurers, in both the private and public works context. His background in representing sureties, as well as virtually every type of party involved in construction gives him a unique perspective which assists the parties in dispute find solutions for resolution.
- Mass and Individual Torts: Personal Injury, Products Liability, Child Molestation, Medical Malpractice, Professional Liability (including Fee Disputes)
As a mediator Len has gained a reputation with both plaintiffs’ and defendants’ attorneys for his knowledge of tort law in a variety of contexts, and for his effectiveness in resolving personal injury disputes. Len has mediated cases involving major injuries resulting from auto accidents, defective products, child molestation, medical malpractice, and professional liability. He is frequently selected as the arbitrator in medical malpractice, uninsured motorist (UM/UIM), and fee dispute/professional liability matters. Len’s expertise in mediation processes has also resulted his being chosen to help parties economically and effective resolve mass tort cases, some cases involving more than 900 individual claims.
Mediation Partner, Levy, McMahon & Levin (1999-2004)
Full-time mediation and arbitration practice.
Of Counsel, Mink, Alpert & Barr (1990-1999)
Trial attorney of complex matters in insurance, surety and fidelity, real estate, personal injury, general liability and business litigation. Commenced mediation practice in the same practice areas.
Partner, Regal & Levy (1982-1990)
Trial and appellate attorney of complex matters in insurance, surety and fidelity, real estate, personal injury, general liability and business litigation.
Law Office of Leonard S. Levy (1981-1982)
Trial attorney of complex matters in insurance, surety and fidelity, real estate, personal injury and business litigation.
Senior Associate, Montgomery, Bottum, Regal & McNally (1974-1980)
Trial and appellate attorney of complex matters in insurance, surety and fidelity and business litigation.
Associate, Stark & Siener (1973-1974)
Trial Attorney, Subrogation. Tried over 70 cases.
- Member, State Bar of California, 1973
- United States Court of Appeal for the 9th Circuit, 1982
- United States District Courts,
Central District of California (1974),
Southern District of California (1979),
Eastern District of California (1982)
- Loyola University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1973
- University of California, Los Angeles, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, 1970
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, 1998
MEDIATION AND ARBITRATION PANELS
- ADR Services. Inc. Panel of Neutrals (2008-Present)
- Independent Mediator and Arbitrator (1998-2007)
- United States District Court, Central District of California, Attorney Mediator Panel
- Court of Appeal, Second Appellate District Mediation Panel
- California Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Vice-Chair, Los Angeles County Bar Association Fee Dispute Mediation and Arbitration Panels
- Kaiser Permanente Panel of Neutrals
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND LEADERSHIP
- Southern California Mediation Association (SCMA)
Past Vice President, Member of the Board of Directors, 2003-2006
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL)
- Association of Attorney Mediators
- Adjunct Professor, Loyola University School of Law
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- Southern California Super Lawyer in Dispute Resolution (2014-Present)
- Certificates of Appreciation for service as a Settlement Officer, Los Angeles Superior Court
- Invited Participant, Masters’ Forum Conference for Experienced Neutrals