- 2009 – 2013: Daily Journal, “Top 50 Neutrals”
- 2008: Jurist of the Year, American Board of Trial Advocates, Los Angeles Chapter
2001 – 2009: Judge of the Superior Court, Los Angeles
- Unlimited civil independent calendar trial court
- Family Law trial court – Long cause trials, domestic violence, spousal and child support, child custody
- Limited jurisdiction civil trial court
- Misdemeanor trial court
- 2008: Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine, Specialized Mediation
- 1996: Mediation Training, UCLA Extension Dept. of Business and Management
- 1973: JD, University of California, Los Angeles School of Law
- 1970: BA, University of California, Los Angeles
- 1996 – 2001: Fonda Hilberman & Fraser, Founding Partner.
Civil litigation and mediation, including professional and personal liability, insurance coverage, and risk management issues on behalf of insurance carriers, self-insured businesses, universities and healthcare providers, mediator.
- 1984 – 1996: Fonda Garrard Hilberman & Davis, Senior Partner.
Tort, professional liability and insurance coverage litigation and risk management.
- 1981 – 1984: Levinson & Lieberman, Partner.
General civil practice, specialization in general litigation, real estate title litigation.
- 1973 – 1981: Shield & Smith, Partner.
General civil practice; specialization in litigation. Special expertise in products liability, negligence law and professional liability.
- State Bar of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association,
- Litigation Section Executive Committee, 2006-2009
- American Board of Trial Advocates, 1990-present.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Los Angeles Chapter, 2003-present.
- Secretary, 2005-2008.
- Standing Committee on Professional Civility, 2005-2015. (Chair, 2005-2006)
- UCLA School of Law Alumni Association, 1973-present.
- Board of Directors, 2005-2017; President 2009-2010.
- UCLA School of Law Mentor Program, 2000-present.
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Judicial Fellow, February 2006.
- Santa Monica Bar Association, Board of Trustees, 2006-2008.
- Guest lecturer, Pepperdine Law School, Mediation, February 2016.
- UCLA School of Law, Adjunct Professor of Law, 2009.
- Guest lecturer, Pepperdine Law School, Trial Advocacy, February 2007.
- Faculty, Los Angeles Superior Court Judicial Education Seminar, “Civil Case Management,” February 2007.
- Guest lecturer, UCLA “Issues of Domestic Violence in a Family Law Court,” “Sex and the Law,” November 2006.
- Loyola Law School, Adjunct Prof. of Law, “Family Law,” Spring & Fall 2005, Fall 2006.
- Administrative Office of the Courts, Faculty, Cow County Judges Institute, “Discovery, Law and Motion, and Sanctions,” May 2006.
- Los Angeles Superior Court, Settlement Skills Education Committee, Instructor, 2005.
- UCLA Extension, Paralegal Certificate.
- USC School of Medicine, Litigation.
Publications (Partial List)
- “Mediation Tips Based on Attorneys’ Pet Peeves,” Verdict Magazine (ASCDC), Summer 2012.
- “Showing Respect for Mediation, Arbitration and Discovery,” Advocate Magazine, (CAALA) September 2011.
- “Mediation Is Not a Contact Sport,” Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine, January 2011.
- “Winning Your Case Without Going to Court, Successful Mediation Techniques,” Verdict Magazine (ASCDC), December 2010.
- “Not-So-New Kid in Town,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, September 17, 2010.
- “Concern for the environment: Successful mediation techniques for court or private mediation,” Advocate Magazine (CAALA), September 2010.
- “Video Depositions At Trial,” Advocate Magazine (CAALA), January 2008.
- “Tech Savvy,” Verdict Magazine (ASCDC), Fourth Quarter 2007.
Speaking Engagements (Partial List)
- Panelist, “Judicial Perspective on Brain Injuries,” TBI Institute, 2019.
- Panelist, “Effective Mediation Techniques,” California Lawyers Association, 2018.
- Presiding Judge, “Masters in Trial,” ABOTA, 2016.
- Panelist, “Ethics in Mediation,” CAALA Las Vegas Seminar, 2011.
- Panelist, “Social Media,” UCLA School of Law and Association of Corporate Counsel, 2011.
- Panelist, “Winning Your Case Without Ever Going to Court: Successful Mediation Techniques for Private Mediation,” The State Bar of California 83rd Annual Meeting, Monterey, September 23-26, 2010.
- Panelist, “Concern for the environment: Successful mediation techniques for court or private mediation,” CAALA Las Vegas Seminar, August 2010.
- Panelist, “Civility in Litigation,” CAALA Las Vegas Seminar, August 2009.
- Panelist, “Civility from the Trench to the Bench: Does it Really Matter?” UCLA School of Law, March 2009.
- “Local Rules and Civility,” Association of Southern California Defense Counsel, March 2009.
- Panelist, “Automobile Litigation,” CAALA Las Vegas Seminar, August 2005, 2006, 2008.
- Panelist, “Candid Comments,” LACBA Litigation Section, June 2008.
- Panelist, “Annual Trial Lawyer Skills for the New Attorney,” CAALA, March 2008.
- Moderator, Civil Bench Seminar, “Developments in Contracts,” February 2007.
- MCLE Presenter at more than 40 private law firms.