Stacie Feldman Hausner, Esq. has mediated full time since 2015. She has successfully mediated more than five hundred cases in the areas of business, personal injury, employment, real estate, insurance coverage, construction defect, and intellectual property law. She has an exceptionally high settlement rate due to her tenacity, calm and friendly demeanor, creative “out of the box” thinking, and keen insight. Ms. Hausner draws on her broad mediation experience, as well as her extensive study and understanding of the fields of negotiation and mediation. After an extensive career as a litigator, practicing law at both defense and plaintiff firms, Ms. Hausner launched her mediation practice because she understood the perspectives and interests of the opposing sides to a dispute, as well as the benefits of alternative dispute resolution. She received an LL.M. in Dispute Resolution from the Straus Institute at Pepperdine University School of Law, and prior to joining ADR Services, Inc., she successfully mediated more than one hundred settlement conferences at the Santa Monica Courthouse. In addition, she has spent considerable time mediating for the Central District Court, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Department of Consumer and Business Affairs, and the Center for Conflict Resolution.
Counsel have consistently praised Ms. Hausner for settling disputes in an empathetic, caring, and tenacious manner, and for showing the intelligence and skills needed to guide parties toward settlement, regardless of the emotional or legal complexity of the matters in dispute. Counsel appreciate her use of effective tools and creative resolutions to reach settlement, even when impasse seems imminent. Ms. Hausner is praised for remaining invested in the process even after the time allotment for the mediation, and for diligently following up with cases that do not initially settle through the final resolution of the case.
Ms. Hausner is enthusiastic in her passion for mediation. When she is not mediating, she teaches mediation skills to practitioners, attorneys and law students. She is an Adjunct Professor teaching “Mediation Theory and Practice,” “Advanced Mediation” and “Mediating the Litigated Case” at the Straus Institute at Pepperdine School of Law. She also trains mediators for the United States District Court, Central District, Pro Bono mediation program. Ms. Hausner presents frequent MCLE trainings on various topics (including optimizing settlement and negotiation outcomes), trains women in a yearly Women’s Negotiation Academy, coaches businesspeople on effective negotiation strategies, and educates women negotiators in the workplace.
Areas of Specialization
- Business / Commercial Contract
- Insurance Coverage
- Landlord / Tenant
- Personal Injury
- Civil Rights/Government Entities
- Real Estate, Construction Defect
ADR Services, Inc.
- Mediator of a large variety of civil disputes
- Frequent presenter of CLE trainings for law firms, bar associations, mediation groups, women’s groups
Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles, Santa Monica Courthouse
- Mediated more than one hundred mandatory settlement conferences of various types of civil litigation cases
United States District Court, Central District of California
- Mediator of complex business, insurance coverage, real estate, construction defect, lemon law, and civil rights cases
- Trainer/educator for Panel Mediators
Straus Institute of Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine Law School
- Adjunct Professor: “Advanced Mediation”; “Mediation Theory & Practice”; “Mediation Clinic”
- Acting Associate Director
- Professor, “Mediating the Litigated Case” Program
- Professor, Residency Program
- Coach, Women’s Negotiation Academy
Department of Fair Employment and Housing
- Mediator of employment and housing discrimination cases
Department of Consumer and Business Affairs
- Mediated approximately one hundred civil litigation cases
Center for Conflict Resolution
- Mediated cases in several Los Angeles Superior Court locations
Fogel, Feldman, Ostrov, Ringler & Klevens, A Law Corportation
- Litigated all aspects of business, entertainment, employment and complex personal injury cases
Mitchell, Silberberg & Knupp, LLP
- Litigated business cases, often complex, multi-party litigation
Externship for Judge Stephen Reinhardt, Ninth Circuit, United States Court of Appeals
LL.M. in Dispute Resolution, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University (2016)
- 3 CALI Awards – awarded for excellence in academics
J.D., Boston University School of Law (1996)
- Graduated Cum Laude; Executive Editor of The Law Review
B.A. in Political Science, University of California at San Diego (1993)
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude and with Provost Honors
- California Lawyers Association (ADR Executive Committee Board Member)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (ADR Section Executive Committee)
- Santa Monica Bar Association (Board Member & Speaker)
- American Bar Association (Member & Speaker at ABA Dispute Resolution Conference)
- Beverly Hills Bar Association (Board of Dispute Resolution Committee & Speaker)
- Southern California Mediation Association (Speaker & Member)
- Orange County Bar Association (Speaker)
- Contra Costa Bar Association (Speaker)
- International Academy of Mediators
- Central District Court Panel of Mediators (Trainer)
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (Member & Speaker)
- Beverly Hills Chamber of Commerce (Speaker)
- Collaborative Divorce Solutions of Southern California (Speaker)
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (Participant in Conferences)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (Participant in Conferences)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (Member)
- San Fernando Valley Bar Association (Past Member)
- California Employment Lawyers Association (Participant in Annual Conference)
- CAALA Advocate Article September 2019 “Influence in Settlement Negotiations”
- California Litigation: The Journal of the Litigation Section of the CLA 2019 “Psychology and Persuasion in Settlement”
- Daily Journal “Profile on Stacie Hausner”
- CAALA Advocate Article September 2018 “Cognitive Biases in Mediation”
- Daily Journal Article 2020 “Psychology in Settlement”
Stacie Hausner has spoken extensively about settlement and negotiations, including:
- Twice Yearly Training for District Court Panel of Mediators
- Contra Costa Bar Association
- Southern California Mediation Association (numerous times)
- ABA Dispute Resolution Conference
- CLA (numerous times)
- Santa Monica Bar Association
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- “Women’s Negotiation Academy” at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
- “Mediating the Litigated Case” at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
- Residency at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
- City Attorney’s Office
- Chamber of Commerce for Beverly Hills
- Women Executives in the Entertainment Field (Gender and Negotiation)
- Orange County Bar Association’s Real Estate Committee
- Collaborative Divorce Solutions of Southern California
- Podcast: Beyond the Balance Sheet
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION (EXPANDED)
- BUSINESS AND CONTRACT DISPUTES: Partnership dissolutions; large scale services contracts; fraud; embezzlement; shareholder issues; misappropriation of funds; breach of fiduciary duty; breach of contract (oral and written); class action violations of the TCPA; lemon law; usury law; distribution contracts; growth and distribution of cannabis; esports; class action workers compensation classification; business purchase agreements; deeds of trust; business investments; construction and development contracts; investments in production companies; unjust enrichment; interference with prospective opportunity; unfair dilution of interest; apartment building services contract; misappropriation of funds; health care facilities; hotel services contracts; defective apparel and product disputes; false advertising; and energy contracts.
- EMPLOYMENT: Wrongful termination; Civil Rights violations; sexual harassment; whistleblower retaliation; discrimination based upon race, sexual orientation, age, national origin, and disability; pregnancy and lactation discrimination; non-compete clauses; wage and hour claims; constructive termination; hostile work environment; family leave; employee commission disputes; ADA claims and failure to accommodate claims.
- CONSTRUCTION DEFECT: Disputes between owners, contractors, engineers, subcontractors and architects in commercial (including large scale development projects) and residential (including condominiums) matters; disputes involving mold, flooding, water intrusion, plumbing, landscaping, soil, roofing, entertainment, swimming pools, atriums, and security systems in remodels; new construction and mixed use buildings.
- REAL ESTATE: Claims of buyers, sellers and agents in the resolution of residential and commercial property purchase agreement disputes; neighbor disputes; easement disputes; property line disputes; multi-party Homeowners Association (HOA) disputes; income producing property disputes; section 1031 exchange disputes; failure to disclose allegations; fraudulent conveyance allegations; neighborhood ordinance regulation disputes; real estate broker liability disputes; broker fee disputes; mold exposure disputes; management of commercial property and condominium disputes; commercial development disputes.
- LANDLORD-TENANT: Landlord-tenant disputes involving commercial and residential leases; habitability (mold, rats, roaches, noise); security deposits; unlawful detainers; exclusivity provisions in lease; constructive eviction; breach of lease; manager harassment; mixed-use building conversions; lease extensions.
- ELDER ABUSE & FAMILY DISPUTES: Disputes between family members dividing inherited property; financial and physical elder abuse allegations involving elder and senior care facilities, nursing homes, and family homes.
- PERSONAL INJURY: Automobile, motorcycle, and bicycle accidents; slip and fall; dog bites; premises liability; product liability design defect; catastrophic injuries; assault; sexual harassment and sexual battery; and disputes involving injuries obtained while in custody.
- INSURANCE: Disputes involving bad faith and coverage issues relating to medical insurance, professional liability insurance, various business insurance policies, homeowners insurance, life insurance, title insurance, and automobile insurance; disputes involving excess insurance, UIM and subrogation issues.
- BANKING: Mortgage claims; illegal lending practices; usury claims; wrongful foreclosures.
- CIVIL RIGHTS/GOVERNMENT ENTITIES: Cases involving local governmental homeless programs; civil rights violations in prisons and jails; police conduct at traffic stops and in detention facilities; bullying at schools; Title IX claims; community activism; medical care in prison; disability services in prison.
- HEALTH CARE: Hospital liability; nurse liability; doctor liability; psychiatric and orthopedic injuries; the entry of billing codes for insurance companies; discrimination claims from hospital staff; issues involving exclusive leases for medical providers.
- PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY: Malpractice claims against lawyers, doctors, hospitals, senior care facilities, real estate brokers, and accountants.
- ENTERTAINMENT/INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: Licensing agreements; trademarks; investments in film projects; digital copyright infringement; celebrity “entourage” employees; film distribution deals.
“Stacie Hausner is one of the top mediators in all of California. She is excellent at getting cases settled. I always put Ms. Hausner on my short list and I use her whenever I can.”
“Ms. Hausner provided our firm with excellent assistance settling multiple difficult cases. In one, an insurance issue caused my client to have to delay the mediation so we could file our case and determine if insurance would tender a defense. Recognizing that the case would not be settled that day, Ms. Hausner allowed us to retain our time and use it again months later after the insurance issue had been hammered out. Her attention to detail and willingness to make decisions that best suited our clients’ needs make me highly recommend her services.”
“Ms. Hausner helped me with a difficult case involving a tenant who had suffered a serious hand injury. Despite a difficult client and resistance from the defense, Ms. Hausner worked tirelessly to ensure that both sides came to an agreement that ended in an excellent result for our client. Ms. Hausner’s friendly, intelligent demeanor belies her ability to bring parties together and resolve difficult cases. I will definitely use her again in the future.”
“Stacie Hausner served as our mediator in a personal injury case. I represented the injury victim. My client had a complicated relationship with the defendant and there were serious personal issues involved. This might have made the case very difficult to resolve had it not been for the skill of Ms. Hausner. Ms. Hausner handled the mediation professionally but also brought some compassion to the process. My client was able to get a sense of resolution in the process that allowed us to resolve the case. And, she was able to bring the parties together for a fair settlement sum. I would be pleased to use Ms. Hausner as a mediator again.”
“Stacie Hausner’s ability to articulate the purely legal issues of causation, damages and evidence in a way that is instructive to the parties combined with an excellent and rare natural tendency to understand the motivations and purely emotional issues that are often the reason cases don’t settle makes Ms. Hausner so good at what she does”
“Stacie Hausner is my go to mediator. She is smart, diligent, highly skilled, and she has a great temperament that made it enjoyable for my clients and me to work with her.”
“Ms. Hausner was excellent. Without her persistence, the case would not have settled. Ms. Hausner is a terrific mediator. I will be sure to use her again in the future.”
“I have been practicing law for thirty-one years and without a doubt Stacie Hausner is one of the best mediators I have worked with. Hausner is smart and very client focused. She is able to provide creative solutions to complex problems. Moreover, every mediation Hausner has handled for my clients resulted in a positive settlement. Hausner does not subscribe the tired philosophy that a “good settlement is where everyone is unhappy.” Disputes do not always need to end that way.”
“Stacie Hausner is a highly skilled and extremely effective mediator. She takes the time to call counsel in advance of the mediation in order to understand the dynamics of the case and the goals each side is trying to accomplish. In addition her command of the personalities, the facts, and the law, Stacie brings an infectious optimism to her mediations which makes the participants feel they are invested in a positive outcome. In the cases I have mediated before Stacie my clients have felt that they are being heard and that she is there to help them. At the same time Stacie has a savvy ability to guide a negotiation to a range that both sides can live with. I recommend her without hesitation.”
“Mediation Attorney Stacie Hausner is the best of the best in my book. She made feel at ease, talked me through the mediation process, showed much patience since it was my first time using Zoom, and most importantly she worked hard for me and secured a settlement agreement for me that I am more than satisfied with. My hats off to Ms. Hausner for allowing me to witness her expert negotiation skills first hand. A true professional and a job well done. So, I thank you so so much!”