Geri Green, Esq. is a certified mediator, arbitrator, and referee, highly skilled and experienced in both facilitative and evaluative dispute resolution styles. She provides face-to-face, virtual, and asynchronistic neutral services, specializing in complex high-conflict matters, with expertise in cross-cultural and cross-border disputes. In addition to three decades of courtroom experience, she has extensive training in crisis intervention, trauma, restorative justice, cross-cultural competence, and harm reduction, and is also a scholar of evidence and international law.
In 2013, Ms. Green began her dispute resolution practice after almost 30 years in private practice as a litigator and appellate lawyer, trying more than 100 state and federal cases to verdict and authoring over 150 civil, criminal, and quasi-criminal appeals in California and U.S. Circuit Courts. As an ADR professional, she has drawn upon her courtroom experience, academic background, and extensive training, along with her real-world business proficiency, to successfully resolve over 500 disputes. Ms. Green is known for her attentiveness to detail and her ability to break down complex legal issues and highly charged matters into manageable pieces. She is well-versed in working with families in crisis and with difficult personalities, including those suffering from substance abuse or mental health condition. She is respected by both plaintiffs and defendants, as well as families and businesses who choose to resolve their conflicts before commencing litigation.
Ms. Green has a keen understanding of governmental torts, personal injury, professional malpractice, employment, and law enforcement-related matters, from decades of work as a leading civil rights attorney and her work with the Department of Police Accountability and District Attorney’s Neighborhood Courts Program. She also possesses a breadth of experience with commercial disputes from her work as General Counsel for Devereaux Creek Properties, as well as experience in the fishing, farming, cannabis, golf, arts, and hospitality industries.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Personal Injury: Auto, Medical,& Dental Malpractice, Civil Rights, Government Tort, Insurance, Wrongful Death
- Employment: Harassment, Discrimination, Wage & Hour
- Business: Dissolution, Contract, Tort, Professional Malpractice, ADA
- Real Estate:Landlord-Tenant (Business and Residential), HOA, TIC, Partition
- Civil Rights: Law Enforcement/Public Entity, Fee Litigation
- Family: Custody, Property Division, Partition, Cross-Border, High Conflict Dissolution, Elder Care
- Discovery: Complex Cases, 5th Amendment, Electronically Stored Information (ESI), Privileges &Trade Secrets
- Founding Attorney, Law Offices of Geri Lynn Green; Green & Green LLP (1987-Present)
- Law Professor, Evidence, New College of California (1996-2001)
- General Counsel, Ocean Meadows Golf Course/Devereaux Creek Properties (1994-2013)
- Investigator, Mission Community Legal Defense (1979-1986)
- L.L.M., International Law, Golden Gate University School of Law with course work at Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution (2015)
- J.D., UC Hastings College of the Law (1986)
- B.A., University of California Santa Barbara (1977)
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Selected as a Super Lawyer annually since 2010
- Rated Top Women Attorney in Northern California since 2010
- Named to the Best Lawyers List for Civil Rights and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Eight-time honoree by the San Francisco District Attorney for her work as a Neighborhood Courts Adjudicator and outstanding commitment to improving the quality of life for San Franciscans
PROFESSIONAL LICENSES AND ADMISSIONS
- California State Bar Arbitration/Mediation/Special Master
- Certified Arbitrator (2018)
- Certified Mediator (2013)
- United States Supreme Court (1997) and various Federal Courts
- California State Bar (1987)
Ms. Green serves as a Settlement Officer in the Superior Courts of San Francisco and Marin Counties; Mediator for the Superior Courts of Alameda, Contra Costa, and Solano Counties; Discovery Facilitator/Referee/Special Master for the State Bar of California, San Francisco and for Contra Costa County Superior Courts; Mediator for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California; Mediator for the California Court of Appeal, Third Appellate District; Special Master for the California State Bar, Adjudicator for the San Francisco Neighborhood Courts; and serves on the ADR Administration Committee for the Alameda Superior Courts.
ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION TRAINING
Ms. Green is a certified mediator and certified arbitrator, and a Special Master/Referee. She has completed over 300 hours of training in a wide variety of alternative dispute resolution disciplines, including specialized training modules in mediation, cross-cultural mediation, family mediation, techniques for conflict coaching, arbitration training, arbitration for intellectual property cases, mediation and arbitration of attorney’s fees, superior court settlement case officer training,advanced appellate mediation training, and international cross-border family mediation. For a complete list of her alternative dispute resolution training, please visit her website at www.gerilynngreen.com.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS AND PUBLICATIONS
Ms. Green is a frequent guest lecturer to local bar associations, including the Bar Association of San Francisco and the Alameda County Bar Association, and law schools, including UC Hastings College of the Law, UC Berkeley School of Law, Stanford University School of Law, Golden Gate University School of Law, and others. Ms. Green has also published articles in the Recorder, and authored reports and made presentations before the United Nations General Assembly and various treaty bodies. For a complete list of publications, please visit her website at www.gerilynngreen.com.
- Mediated an employment dispute between an employee and her employer, a national Airline Ground support company. The allegations involved elder discrimination, ADA violations, wrongful termination, physical, retaliatory verbal, and emotional abuse by supervisors and co-workers, resulting in permanent damage. The allegations also included the failure on the part of employers to notify Plaintiff of her Worker’s Compensation rights, the subsequent failure to accommodate her physical disability that resulted from the attack, and employer’s involvement in a conspiracy to cover it up, and create cause for termination which involved another company thereby preventing employee from seeking other employment.
- Mediated a dispute involving the ownership of photographs taken by employee of work product.
- Handled class action alleging race and national origin discrimination in violation of 42 U.S.C. Sec. 1981, 1983, 1985 & 1986 against Municipal Transportation Agency.
- Handled multi-plaintiff action against a state agency and its executive staff involving violations of Labor Code §1102.5, age discrimination, retaliation for whistleblowing, and retaliation for protected activity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA).
- Mediated multiple cases involving the misclassification of independent contractors under the California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement resulting in wage and hour claims.
- Handled matters involving the whistleblowers entitlement to SSDI And Disability Retirement under Federal Employees Retirement System.
- Mediated a dispute between employees and employer alleging sexual harassment, gender discrimination, discrimination based on sexual preference, hostile work environment, intentional infliction of emotional distress, retaliation, and failure to protect employees from harassment.
Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice
- Mediated Dental Malpractice involving injuries sustained including extraction after endodonic therapy.
- Mediated a personal injury/ motor vehicle dispute involving a Mercedes and a scooter resulting in an ankle medial malleolus fracture.
- Mediated a personal injury/ motor vehicle dispute after a rear-ender between tourists driving a rented Porsche to wine-country and a San Francisco Taxi Cab involving severe traumatic brain injuries and surgical orthopedic injuries.
- Mediated a personal injury/ motor vehicle dispute involving a Taxi Cab running a stop sign and broadsiding a pediatrician resulting in concussion, headaches, dizziness, photosensitivity, phonophobia, cervical/thoracic sprain right leg weakness, radiculopathy, anxiety and emotional distress.
- Mediated a personal injury/ motor vehicle dispute between a work truck and car resulting in back and hip injuries.
- Mediated a combined personal injury/ motor vehicle/ battery/ road rage/ negligent entrustment dispute that resulted in catastrophic injuries. Plaintiff alleged that while he was waiting to pull into a parking space, Defendant, a stranger, walked up to Plaintiff’s window and punched him in the face numerous times. Defendant then returned to his vehicle and rammed Plaintiff’s vehicle, when Plaintiff tried to flee to safety, Defendant gave chase to intimidate him.
- Mediated a combined personal injury/ insurance bad faith dispute arising out of high speed broadside collision causing resulting in substantial property damage and catastrophic injuries.
- Mediated dental malpractice dispute involving severe nerve damage during root canal procedure.
- Handled combined civil rights/ medical malpractice dispute involving municipal and private healthcare providers’ failure to provide adequate medical care to pretrial detainee suffering from severe drug withdrawal symptoms resulting in her death.
- Handled combined civil rights/ medical malpractice dispute involving municipal, state, and private healthcare providers’ successive denials of medical care to a pretrial detainee suffering with neuromyelitis optica (NMO), a rare condition where the immune system damages the spinal cord and optic nerves resulting in catastrophic paralysis and partial blindness.
- Handled combined civil rights/ medical malpractice dispute involving county medical providers’ mischaracterization of a gay pretrial detainee’s reports of severe pain as “mere hysteria” resulting in his death from an untreated duodenal ulcer.
- Handled combined civil rights/ medical malpractice dispute involving a pretrial detainee suffering with schizophrenia and suicidality. Official and medical providers failed to provide a mandated observation and step-down unit housing after involuntary commitment, resulting in his death.
- Handled combined civil rights/ medical malpractice dispute involving municipal and private medical providers brought by minor children of deceased for failure to provide mental health care to pretrial detainee (parent) known to be suffering with suicidality, resulting in death.
- Handled a combined civil rights/ wrongful death action involving the death of an inmate in the custody of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, resulting from the removal of all prison guards from a unit housing mentally ill prisoners and the failure to provide lifesaving medical assistance over a protracted period of time. The ensuing cover-up and issues of qualified immunity were heavily litigated resulting in a published 9th Circuit opinion.
- Handled a combined civil rights/ medical malpractice/ ADA/ government tort/ wrongful death action against county and private mental healthcare provider for the failure to provide mental health care to an 18-year-old long-term patient known to be suffering from delusions, schizophrenia and suicidality, resulting in his suicide.
- Handled multiple actions involving sexual assault of incarcerated girls throughout the United States.
- Handled multiple personal injury/ motor vehicle matters.
- Appointed by U.S. Department of Justice to handle numerous cases filed against prison warden alleging personal injuries due to medical malpractice of medical staff at the facility and other constitutional violations.
- Negotiated a cross-border dispute, with a female student complaining of sexual harassment and abuse, and transnational stalking by another student. The claims involved the educational institution and its executives’ failure to protect the female student.
Business, Breach of Contract. Intellectual Property
- Mediated a dispute between author and publisher regarding author’s rights under the publishing contract to obtain unsold books and marketing information.
- Mediated a dispute between nail salon owners over the ownership of the intellectual property interests in nail designs involving Interference with Business Opportunity.
- Mediated a high conflict 7-figure dispute over professional fees and services involving multi-phased trial, appeals and retrial.
- Handled dissolution of an international beauty company involving claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, interference with business, negligence, breach of contract, defamation, labor code violations, wrongful termination, and defamation.
- Handled dissolution of an entertainment venue involving breach of contract, Corporations Code Section 17351(B)(2), resulting in various restraining orders, allegations of stalking, harassment, verbal taunts, physical intimidation, assault, threats of physical violence, and defamation.
- Mediated breach of contract in the sale of a commercial fishing vessel, and the transfer of fishing licenses.
- Handled civil RICO and Sherman Act/ antitrust case alleging price-fixing in the commercial crab fishing industry.
- Mediated multi-party breach of contract action concerning 7-figure dispute over fees for professional services, professional malpractice, and breach of contract.
- Mediated partnership dissolution of a musical band involving trademark, brand, band name, division of intellectual property, and future proceeds.
- Negotiated contracts and agreements between a private security firm, San Francisco Housing Authority, and the San Francisco Police Department, resolving a heated dispute over territorial jurisdiction.
- Represented, owned, and/or operated various establishments in the hospitality industry including liquor establishments, restaurants, playhouses, and music venues which involved: negotiating partnership, and operating agreements; leases; asset purchase agreements (including liquor license acquisition); distribution, production and supply agreements; catering agreements; licensing agreements; professional service agreements; construction agreements; entity formation and maintenance; negotiating artist’s contracts; and handling employment issues.
- Provided general counsel services to entertainment venues such as the Santa Barbara International Jazz Festival which involved: negotiating artist contracts; handling the production of and negotiating working relationships with city officials and neighboring businesses; negotiating artists’ contracts; ticketing and partner agreements; and brand protection.
- Handled and mediated scores of matters in the cannabis industry over 30 years, beginning with medical marijuana maverick Brownie Mary, through to “cannabis business divorces” which today include bitter conflicts among partners, companies, joint ventures, lenders, and others.
- As General Counsel for Ocean Meadows Golf Course and Devereaux Creek Properties, handled matters involving liability, workers’ compensation, alcohol liability, anti-discrimination legislation, ADA, sexual harassment, libel and slander; mediated disputes between the golf course property owners and neighbors; and negotiated business contracts including leases, advertisements, inventory, events, special independent contractor agreements, employment contracts, and the ultimate sale and conversion of the property to a residential development and reclaimed wetlands.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Mediated an ADA/ personal injury dispute between a disabled guest and a premium international hotel group over a non-ADA accessible entrance with inadequate signage, creating a dangerous condition which resulted in Plaintiff’s fall. Also at issue were substantial attorney’s fees and multipliers, and punitive damages.
- Mediated dispute involving ADA violations alleged against grocery store for inappropriate screening /exclusion of comfort animal.
- Mediated dispute involving ADA violations alleged against landlord for inappropriate requirements of resident suffering with mental health disabilities.
- Mediated numerous disputes involving alleged ADA violations due to inaccessibility to retail spaces.
- Mediated an ADA dispute involving a mobility impaired plaintiff and website providing hotel reservations. Suit alleged website denied access to online information and reservation services regarding the accessibility of the hotels and hotel rooms for mobility impaired consumers.
Real Estate, Landlord/Tenant, Unlawful Detainer
- Mediated Landlord/Tenant dispute involving warranty of habitability claims due to extensive mold growth throughout a ten-unit residential building and bad faith insurance claims.
- Mediated a dispute between a brother and sister over the ownership of a San Francisco single family home. Plaintiff claimed she mistakenly added brother to the deed through coercion and incapacity, and breach of contract.
- Mediated an ejectment/ Ellis Act eviction involving an elderly long-term tenant. After a fire in the building, Landlord refused to make repairs to make the premises habitable giving rise to tenant’s displacement and allegations of intentional/ reckless disregard of Plaintiff’s rights under the rent ordinance.
- Mediated a dispute involving a disputed property line between two San Francisco residential properties, the location of a fence between the properties, and the location of a shed that straddled the properties. The highly charged dispute went on for years involving various restraining orders, which gave rise to multiple arrests and allegations of false arrests causing physical and emotional damage.
- Mediated an ejectment/ Ellis Act eviction involving long-term elderly tenant alleging negligence and violations of habitability/ quiet enjoyment, no permanent source of heat, water leaks, deteriorated windows and doors, no weatherproofing, smoke detectors, damaged floors, walls and ceilings, excessive rent charges.
- Mediated a residential landlord tenant dispute involving personal injuries and emotional distress due to the unremediated toxic microbial growth, noise, and broken windows in the unit, alleging claims of breaches of the implied warranty of habitability and the covenant of quiet enjoyment; negligence; nuisance; wrongful eviction; tenant harassment; retaliation; intentional infliction of emotional distress; and violation of the Fair Employment and Housing Act.
- Mediated multi-party landlord/tenant and construction defect case alleging injury to tenant due to unsafe, dangerous, and uninhabitable conditions causing long term exposure to dust and toxins, resulting in severe respiratory illness. Plaintiff alleged negligence, breach of the implied warranty of habitability, breach of the implied warranty of quiet enjoyment, intentional infliction of emotional distress, breach of contract, breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, private nuisance, and violation of S.F. Admin. Code, Ch. 37 against Landlord. In turn, Landlord alleged contractor was responsible for Plaintiff’s damages due to the performance of construction alleging contractual indemnity, full or partial equitable indemnification, and declaratory relief.
- Mediated an unlawful detainer action praying for back rent with a cross-complaint for negligence, breach of the warranty of habitability, nuisance and violation of San Francisco Administrative Code section 37.10B and emotional distress.
- Mediated a dispute where Tenant alleged that the Landlord engaged in sexual battery; battery; sexual discrimination and sexual harassment in housing; retaliation; negligence; nuisance; breach of implied warranty of quiet enjoyment; assault; hostile housing environment; negligent infliction of emotional distress; intentional infliction of emotional distress; violations of Business and Professions Code §17200; and invasion of privacy.
- Mediated a landlord/tenant dispute involving breach of contract, fraud, habitability, retaliation, and abuse of civil process resulting from a rent dispute after the Department of Building Inspection issued a Notice of Violation citing conditions that create substantial risk to human life and property due to faulty electrical systems and lack of proper ceiling height, lighting and ventilation, equitable relief, emotional distress and punitive damages were also at issue.
- Mediated landlord/tenant dispute involving allegations that the Owner Move In Notice causing Plaintiff to surrender the premises was fraudulent.
- Mediated a combined landlord/tenant/ personal injury/ejectment dispute involving a decades-long tenancy with a long history of disputes, including violation of settlement agreements to remediate habitability issues, jury trials, allegations of breach of warranty of habitability, quiet enjoyment, nuisance, noise, retaliation, failed attempts to evict and ultimately the collapse of a ceiling leading to Tenant suffering personal injuries.
- Mediated numerous disputes involving HOA and TIC litigation including nuisance complaints, maintenance, unequal financing arrangements, co-owner buyout agreements, and enforcement/ violation of covenants, conditions, and restrictions.
- Mediated a dispute involving high conflict litigation between a man suffering with severe mental health challenges and property owner over land use.
- Mediated dispute between the parties to a 33-year non-marital relationship involving the partition of real property, division of community property, quasi-community property, breach of contract as to earnings, breach of contract pertaining to mortgage and tax contributions towards real property, fraud, and bankruptcy.
- Mediated a high-conflict neighborhood dispute with three litigants all of whom were protected and/or restrained persons under multiple temporary restraining orders due to respective violent acts.
- Mediated multiple child custody and visitation matters and modifications of spousal support and visitation orders in ongoing high-conflict dissolutions and/or involving child neglect.
- Mediated family disputes in families with government pension plans and defined contribution plans.
- Mediated elder abuse matter between siblings and elder suffering with dementia involving fraud, coercion and financial abuse.
- Handled a high profile cross-border custody and visitation dispute of newborn.
- Mediated a family matter over several years involving parents outside the U.S., a severely mentally ill adult child residing in the U.S. refusing treatment, and two people who had sought and obtained restraining orders due to violence and stalking.
Civil Rights, Police Misconduct, Governmental Liability
- Handled civil rights/ excessive force/ municipal liability/ wrongful death – 42 U.S.C. § 1983 action against the County of San Francisco for the wrongful death of pretrial detainee known to be suffering with mental illness, which the medical examiner deemed a homicide because the man was beaten to death by Sheriff’s deputies while being handcuffed and shackled.
- handled civil rights/ excessive force/ municipal liability/ wrongful death – 42 U.S.C. § 1983 action against San Joaquin County and City of Stockton for the wrongful death of a man beaten by law enforcement officers while restrained.
- Handled multiple actions brought under Bivens v. Six Unknown Named Agents by women sexually abused by officers at various Bureau of Prisons locations throughout the U.S. Resolution came after the case spawned an investigation by the United Nations into the treatment of women prisoners in the U.S. and resulted in wide-reaching changes to eliminate prison rape and protect victims.
- Handled excessive force/ municipal liability/ government tort – 42 U.S.C. § 1983 against the City and County of San Francisco for cutting off a woman’s finger.
- Handled excessive force/ municipal liability/ government tort – 42 U.S.C. § 1983 brought by black protestor against members of the San Francisco Police Department.
- Handled multiple Bivens v. Six Unknown Named Agents action brought by prisoners against a federal prison warden for the alleged implementation of unlawful inmate pat and visual body surface searches in UNICOR’s worksites.
- Appointed by the U.S. Attorney’s Office to represent a federal prison warden in multiple actions brought under Bivens v. Six Unknown Named Agents alleging excessive force and misconduct by officers in his control.
- Mediated dozens of Police Misconduct matters involving high-conflict situations, violence, substance abuse and mental illness as a mediator for the Department of Police Accountability.
- Facilitated conversations on behalf of San Mateo County officials between community members and various governmental entities regarding racial inequality and implicit bias.
- Facilitated conversations on behalf of San Mateo County officials between community members and various governmental entities and real estate developers regarding development, zoning, housing, and land use.
- Settled scores of matters involving high emotions, substance abuse, mental illness, and violence or monetary loss as an adjudicator at San Francisco Neighborhood Courts.