ADR Experience and Background
- Since 2000 Mr. Winters has served as Special Master and/or Discovery Referee in over 200 cases involving mass residential, multi-unit condominium and complex commercial construction litigation.
- Acted as a Special Master in most of the counties in Northern California and Nevada
- Devoted the majority of his practice in the last ten (10) years to alternative dispute resolution
- Conducted over 500 mediations and arbitrations across a variety of practice areas, with emphasis in the following areas:
- Personal Injury
- Insurance Coverage
- Professional Liability
- Products Liability
As a trial lawyer, Mr. Winters tried to judgment over 80 cases in State and Federal Court. In recent years, he has represented plaintiffs and defendants in attorney malpractice, products liability and personal injury actions.
Mr. Winters has been heavily involved in construction defect and toxic tort litigation, representing numerous developers, general contractors and subcontractors, both as plaintiffs and defendants.
- 2000-present Special Master / Mediator
Special Master in most Northern and Central California courts
Judge Pro Tem – San Mateo, Santa Clara and San Francisco counties
- 1986–2012 Partner, Nagle, Krug & Winters and Winters & Krug (Burlingame)
- 1977–1986 Partner and founding member of Coddington & Winters (Palo Alto)
- 1972–1977 Ropers, Majeski, Kohn, Bentley & Wagner (Redwood City)
- 1969 DePauw University Bachelor of Arts, cum laude
Attended programs at the University of Freiberg, Germany and at the London School of Economics.
- 1972 University of Illinois JD in 1969, cum laude
Member, The Order of the Coif
Honors and Teaching
- Lecturer – CEB Courses
- Lecturer – Stanford University Law School Trial Advocacy Program
- Lecturer – USF School of Law Trial Advocacy Program
- Lecturer – Hastings University Law School – Trial Advocacy Program
- Super Lawyer – Dispute Resolution in 2009 and 2011