Hon. George P. Schiavelli is a nationally-recognized leader in alternative dispute resolution. His unique experience as an ADR neutral, federal court judge and state court judge as well as his extensive civil trial and appellate experience make him one of the most proficient legal minds in the country.
With 40 years of experience in the law – 20 years as a litigator and appellate counsel and 20 years as a trial judge and dispute resolution professional – Judge Schiavelli is called upon to resolve cases with sophisticated issues, complex arguments and intricate facts. In addition to his exceptional intelligence and legal experience, attorneys count on his personable approach and problem-solving ability to resolve their most difficult disputes. Judge Schiavelli resolves disputes involving a wide-range of legal issues, including:
- Business & Commercial Contract
- Employment Law
- Entertainment Law
- Intellectual Property
- Mass Tort
Judge Schiavelli is one of the leading neutrals specializing in resolving Patent disputes. Parties have sought his guidance on pre-Markman matters and achieved early resolution on claims construction. A representative sample of the judge’s Intellectual Property Specialization, including Patents, is on page 2 of this resume.
Additionally, Judge Schiavelli handles class action, construction defect, environmental law, professional liability, medical malpractice, real estate, securities, mediation of appellate disputes, early mock trial and neutral evaluation, personal injury, premises liability and product liability, and law enforcement excessive force cases.
Judicial & Legal Expertise
- Private ADR Neutral (2000 – 2004, 2008 – Present)
- United States District Court Judge, Central District of California (2004 – 2008)
- Of Counsel, Reed Smith, Los Angeles Appellate Group (2000 – 2004)
- Sat by assignment in Ninth Circuit and California Court of Appeals
- Los Angeles Superior Court Judge (1994 – 2000)
- Appellate Practice, Horvitz & Levy (1986 – 1994)
- Civil Litigation, Ervin Cohen & Jessup (1976 – 1986)
- O’Melveny & Meyers (1974 – 1976)
- UCLA School of Law, 1974 (Graduated first in class of approximately 300)
- Stanford University, 1970
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Preserving the Record for Appeal, California Civil Appellate Practice. (CEB, 3d ed.) Chapter 2A. Co-author.
- “Technology in the Courtroom.” California Bar Journal. (February 1999). Author.
- Judicial Perspective Section. CEB Treatise on Civil Discovery. Author.
- “Appellate Law.” California State Bar Annual Meeting (October 2013). Speaker.
- “Primer on Mediation Advocacy.” Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE). Speaker.
- “Advanced Mediation Advocacy.” Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE). Speaker.
- “Legal Ethics.” Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE). Speaker.
- Presented numerous topics on mediation and arbitration to bar associations and law firms.
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Litigation Section – Executive Committee and Executive Board
- Dispute Resolution Section – Board of Directors (2002)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers – Executive Board (2004 – 2007)
- American Board of Trial Advocates – Masters of Trial Judge (June 2006)
- State Appellate Judicial Evaluations Committee (1990-1994, 2004)
- California Judges Association (1994 – 2008)
- Judicial Council Appellate Advisory Committee and Civil & Small Claims Committee (2000 – 2003)
Intellectual Property Specialization
(Patent, Copyright, Trademark & Trade Secrets)
- Antitrust Violations
- Claims Construction
- Cyber Squatting
- Idea Submission
- Lanham Act
- Markman hearings
- Misappropriation of Trade Secrets
- Validity Issues
Industries (sample list)
- Computer Software & Gaming
- Energy Industry
- Entertainment Industry – Film, Media and Music
- Fashion & Textiles
- Green Technology
- Health Sciences & Pharmaceuticals
- Manufacturing & Production Methods
- Plastics & Polymers