Over the course of her 42-year legal career, Eileen Preville, Esq. has established herself as the standard of excellence in family law dispute resolution services. Exclusively practicing family law private adjudication and mediation for the last 16 years, Ms. Preville has utilized her extensive background and expertise in complex cases, as well as her creative, outside-the-box settlement approaches, to assist in resolving countless disputes for her clients. Her academic orientation to the law, hands-on personal attention to matters, and thoughtful judicial temperament make her particularly suited to her work as an adjudicator in private trials in even the most high-conflict cases.
Certified as a family law specialist by the State Bar of California, Ms. Preville has knowledge of and experience in a wide range of high-value family law-related matters, including: child custody, child and spousal support, visitation rights, business valuation, community and separate property apportionment, tracing, and complex financial issues.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES:
- Admitted to Practice, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1977
- Admitted to Practice, US District Court for the Northern District of California, 1976
- Admitted to California Bar, 1976
- Golden Gate School of Law, Juris Doctor, June 1976
- University of California, Bachelor of Arts, December 1972
- California State Bar
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists (“ACFLS”)
- Alameda County Bar Association (“ACBA”)
- Contra Costa County Bar Association (“CCCBA”)
- Associate Member, Family Law Section, California CPA Society (“CalCPA”)
AWARDS AND DISTINCTIONS:
- Award for Meritorious Service, California Society of CPAs Education Foundation, 2013/2014
- Mock Trial Judge, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Trial Practicum, San Francisco Superior Court, October 25, 2014
- Chair of CalCPA Family Law Conference, 2008; Co-Chair of CalCPA Conference, 2007
- Distinguished Service Award, CalCPA Family Law Section, 2007
- Northern California Super Lawyers, 2006-2015
- Alameda County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyer of the Year, 1996
- “Marriage of Valli: The Tune is Transformation,” The Witness Chair, Issue 63, Winter 2015.
- “Chapter 23: Private Judging,” Family Law Services Handbook: The Role of The Financial Expert, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2011.
- “Cheriton: Opening the Door for Changes to Spousal Support Calculations,” The Witness Chair, Issue 25, Winter 2002.
- “Transmutation, Division of Property, Judgments and Privacy,” ACFLS Northern California Dinner Meeting, June 13, 2017.
- “§1041 – We All Know It When We See It,” CalCPA East Bay Chapter, Tax Issues in Divorce Mini-Conference, January 19, 2017.
- “What’s New in Spousal Support,” CalCPA East Bay Chapter, Tax Issues in Divorce Mini-Conference, January 28, 2016.
- “Taxation of Support: Child, Spousal and Family,” ACBA Family Law Section, June 4, 2015.
- “Protecting Children: Custody and Child Support Provisions That Should and Should Not Be in Your Agreement or Orders,” AAML 39th Annual Symposium, May 2, 2015.
- “Division of Restricted Employment Benefits,” ACBA Family Law Section, March 24, 2015.
- “To Divide or Not to Divide: Employment Benefits and Associated Taxes,” CalCPA East Bay Chapter, Tax Issues in Divorce Mini-Conference, January 28, 2015.
- Numerous CalCPA Annual Family Law Conference Panel Presentations: “Capitalizing Goodwill for Everyone Including Celebrities,” 2001; “Special Issues in A Collapsing Economy,” 2003; “Mock Trial,” 2004; “Out of The Box Settlement Tools,” 2009; “Meet and Confer,” 2011; “Moore Marsden Revisited,” 2012; “The Road Less Traveled: Tracing in Cases with Incomplete Documents,” 2014; “Tensions Between Community Property And Separate Property: Tracing, Apportionment And Presumptions,” 2015.
- “How to Prepare an Uncontested Judgment,” ACBA, October 2007, September 2008, October 2009, November 2010, June 2011, October 2013, and September 2014.
- “Alternative Resolution Methods for Divorce Including Mediation and Private Judging,” KALW-FM “Your Legal Rights” Program, July 2, 2014.
- “Tracing – How, Why and the Burden of Proof,” ACBA Family Law Section June 11, 2014.
- “How to Prepare an Uncontested Judgment and More,” California Association of Legal Document Assistants (“CALDA”), Napa Spring Seminar, April 26, 2014.
- “Community Property,” Instructor, CalCPA Education Foundation, 1999-2013.
- “Cross-Over Issues,” Bay Area Mediators, March 15, 2012.
- “The Intersection of Family Law and Estate Planning,” Redwood Empire Estate Planning Council, December 7, 2011.
- “Hot Topics: The Intersection of Family Law and Estate Planning,” ACBA Family Law Section, June 22, 2011.
- “Hot Topics at The Intersection of Family Law and Estate Planning,” East Bay Trusts and Estates Lawyers (“EBTEL”), May 11, 2011.
- “Structuring A MSA in the Current Economy,” CalCPA East Bay Chapter, Tax Issues in Divorce Mini-Conference January 26, 2011.
- “Advanced Settlement Strategies,” ACFLS Northern California Dinner Meeting, September 16, 2010.
- “When Family Law and Estate Planning Collide,” CalCPA 2010 Estate and Trust Conference, July 7, 2010 and July 8, 2010.
- “Settlement Practicum: Outside the Box Settlement Tools,” ACFLS Eighteenth Annual Spring Seminar, March 28, 2010.
- “The 411 On Trial Evidence: Offering and Using Exhibits,” ACBA, May 12, 2009.
- “Top Five Family Law Nightmares,” CalCPA South Bay Discussion Group, May 21, 2008.
- “Fundamentals of Family Law Practice,” CEB, April 8, 2006.
- “Dissomaster,” CalCPA East Bay East Bay Chapter and CCCBA Family Law Section, January 10, 2006.
- “Domestic Partnership Problems and Issues of Interest to Accountants,” CalCPA East Bay Chapter Of the South Bay Discussion Group, August 3, 2005.
- “Disclosure and Set-Asides,” The State Bar of California 76th Conference, September 6, 2003.
- “Pre and Post Nuptial Agreements: A Family Law Primer For The Estate Planning Lawyer And Related Professionals,” Tri Valley Council, April 3, 2003.
- “Child Custody and Shared Parenting in California,” NBI, November 8, 2002.
- “Divorce and Stock Options,” AICPA National Conference on Advanced Litigation Services, October 31, 2002.
- “Pre and Post Marital Agreements,” ACBA Annual Estate Planning Symposium, June 12, 2002.
- “Disclosure and Fiduciary Duties,” The State Bar of California Winter Education Institute, 2001-2002.
- “The Use of Accountant Experts in Family Law Practice,” ACBA, January 30, 2001.
- “Grandparent Visitation Rights,” CCCBA Family Law Section, 1999.
- “First Annual Technology Seminar,” ACFLS, 1999.
- “Tax Traps in Drafting Marital Settlement Agreements and Judgments,” ACBA Family Law Section, 1997.
- Mock Trial Panelist, AICPA National Conference on Divorce, 1996.