- California State Bar, 1992. United States District Courts: Northern District of California, 1992;
- Central District of California, 1995. United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1992.
- MILLER | MEDIATION, Greater Bay Area, CA
- Principal: Mediator, Special Master and Arbitrator of variety of civil litigation disputes in areas of construction law and defects, personal injury, employment, and real estate.
- MORTON, LULOFS & WOOD LLP, Oakland and Pleasanton, CA
- Of Counsel: Construction Law and Defect, insurance coverage; complex, multi-party litigation, comprehensive settlement evaluation and negotiation; trial preparation.
- NEVIN GRUEN LLP, Walnut Creek, CA
- Associate Attorney: Construction defect; insurance coverage; general liability commercial litigation; complex, multi-party litigation; writs and appeals; drafted pleadings and discovery; comprehensive settlement evaluation and negotiation; trial preparation.
- O’FLAHERTY & BELGUM, Glendale, Long Beach, Anaheim, CA
- Associate Attorney: Medical malpractice; employment litigation (wrongful termination; gender, race, age and disability (ADA) discrimination; sexual harassment; excessive force/false citizen’s arrest; responded to administrative (EEOC, DFEH) requests for information); RICO insurance fraud. Discovery, law and motion practice, and trial preparation and assistance.
- POPPIN & SHIER, San Francisco, CA
- Associate Attorney: Civil/bankruptcy litigation: prepared and evaluated discovery; research and drafted legal memoranda.
- UNIVERSITY OF THE PACIFIC, McGEORGE SCHOOL OF LAW, Sacramento, CA
- Juris Doctor, May 1992
- Emil Gumpert Trial Advocacy Award, 1991-92
- National Moot Court Competition, 1990-91
- Community Legal Services Clinic, 1990-91
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY, Berkeley, CA
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, December 1988
- Appellate Mediation Training, Dana Curtis Mediation (40 hours), May 2010
- Certified Arbitrator, Council of BBB Auto Line Program (12 hours), April 2003
- Mediation Training, Mediation Offices of Steven Rosenberg (40 hours), October 2002
- Commercial Mediation Training, Professional Mediation Associates (40 hours), May 2001
- Tackling Emotion in Mediation: Tips for Dealing with People in Conflict, Annual Meeting of the State Bar of California, October 2015
- Get the Most Out of Mediation: Prepare for and Use Mediation Effectively, Annual Meeting of the State Bar of California, October 2015
- Dealing with Changing Mindsets in Negotiation and ADR, Annual Meeting of the State Bar of California, September 2014
- Dealing with Difficult Personalities at Mediation, Annual Meeting of the State Bar of California, September 2014
- Getting to Resolution: A Trial Warrior’s Guide to ADR, Annual Meeting of the State Bar of California, October 2013
For a full list of Mr. Miller’s presented seminars, please visit his website at www.millermediation.com.
- With Trial Court Funding in Trouble, You Better Have an ADR Plan for Every Case, Contra Costa Lawyer, August 2012
- A Personal Perspective on Gender in Mediation: Keep Your Peripheral Vision Wide, Contra Costa Lawyer, November 2009 (also published in the California Daily Journal, January 29, 2010)
- Mediator, Court of Appeal, 1st and 3rd Districts
- Mediator, Alameda County ADR Program
- Mediator, Contra Costa County ADR Program
- Mediator, San Mateo County ADR Program
- Judge Pro Tempore, Contra Costa County Superior Courts
- California State Bar Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, 2011 to present
- Chair, 2015-2016
- Vice Chair, 2014-2015 Education Subcommittee
- Chair, 2011-2014
- Contra Costa County Bar Association ADR Section (2005-present)
- Founding Member of Board of Directors, 2005 to 2011
- Chair, 2007 and 2010
- Vice Chair 2008-2009
- Contra Costa County Superior Court ADR Advisory Committee, 2010 to present
- Contra Costa County Mediation Society, 2010 to present