After a distinguished and diverse career as a judge for 21 years preceded by a successful career as a litigator and trial lawyer for 20 years, Hon. Jamoa A. Moberly (Ret.) returned to her roots in alternative dispute resolution to serve as a mediator, arbitrator, and referee with ADR Services, Inc.
Judge Moberly was appointed to the bench in 1996 while serving as an effective civil settlement judge pro tem and has come full circle. As a former civil litigator and trial lawyer, Judge Moberly handled and resolved cases in the areas of professional liability, elder abuse, toxic tort, product liability, premises liability, fraud, business disputes, landlord/tenant, class actions and employment claims. Prior to taking the bench, her practice had shifted to focus on conducting mediations and arbitrations.
Judge Moberly brings a caring attitude to dispute resolution grounded in her goal to empower the parties to reach a resolution which is creative and satisfying. She has promoted mediation throughout her judicial career – first, as founding chair of the court’s small claims mediation program, which eventually expanded to include civil harassment, unlawful detainers, judgment debtor, and limited civil matters; and finally, as chair of the court’s arbitration and mediation committee for general civil and probate matters.
After presiding over and resolving a broad spectrum of unlimited jurisdiction civil cases for many years, Judge Moberly capped her judicial service as part of the court’s probate panel. She is known as a “healer of families” and promotes collaborative and creative resolution to help restore families and individuals while also preserving the estate.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Business & Commercial Contract
- Discovery & Judicial Reference
- Elder Abuse
- Professional Liability (Medical, Legal)
- Personal Injury
- Probate, Estates & Trusts
- Real Estate
- 1998 – 2017 Judge of the Superior Court, Orange County
Probate Panel– Trusts and estates, guardianships, conservatorships – 2014-2017
Civil Panel — Unlimited jurisdiction direct calendar and law and motion – 2006-2013
Misdemeanor and limited civil trial court, felony drug court – 1998-2005
- 1996 — 1998 Judge of the Municipal Court, Orange County, Newport Beach
Appointed by Governor Pete Wilson, April 3, 1996
Elevated upon court unification, August 1998
- 1996, 2017 Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine, “Mediating the Litigated Case”
- 1976 University of California Hastings College of Law, J.D.
- 1975 University of California, Davis / University of Florida Summer Law Program
La Escuela Libre de Derecho, Mexico D.F., Mexico
- 1972 University of California, San Diego, B.A. cum laude
- 1980 – 1996 Schell & Delamer, Partner
Civil litigation, medical and professional negligence, bad faith, toxic exposures, premises and product liability, wrongful termination.
- 1979-1980 Greenberg, Bernhard, Weiss & Karma, Associate
Real estate, environmental impact, employment discrimination
- 1977-1979 Fleming, Anderson, McClung & Finch, Associate
Counseling small businesses and business litigation, health law, administrative law, class action, family law and real estate.
- 1976-1977 Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, International Field Representative
Traveled to law schools throughout U.S. and Mexico to reactivate and to establish new chapters. Director of professional programs.
- 1974 Office of the District Attorney, Sacramento, Summer extern
- 1973 UC Student Lobby to CA State Legislature, UCSD Student Lobbyist
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2014 Distinguished Judicial Fellow, Orange County Bar Foundation Society of Fellows
- 2011 Judge of the Year, Orange County Women Lawyers Association
- 2008 Mock Trial Judge of the Year, Constitutional Rights Foundation
- 2007 Remarkable Woman Award, National Association of Women Business Owners
- State Bar of California
- California Judges Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Celtic Bar Association
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association
- National Association of Women Judges, District Director (CA, NV)
- International Association of Women Judges, Delegate: London, Tanzania, Washington, D.C.
- William Gray Legion Lex Inn of Court, Executive Board
- Los Angeles and Orange County Bar Associations, Conference of Delegates
- Constitutional Rights Foundation, Coach, Mock Trial Judge 1996-2005, 2009-Present
- Constitutional Rights Foundation, Judicial Advisory Board
- Juvenile Peer Court Advisory Board, Peer Court Judge 2009-Present
- UC Hastings Alumni Association Board of Governors, 1989-2000, President 1999-2000
- Orange County Women Lawyers Association, Executive Board Member
- Wilshire Bar Association, Board of Governors
- Orange County Law Library, Board of Trustees 2009-2017, President 2013
- Lector, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic church
- Irvine Children’s Fund – Irvine Junior Games
- National Charity League – Irvine chapter
- Meals on Wheels, driver.